On my way to BTU
Last thursday, I took half day leave, on 6.10 pm flight to Bintulu. To be exact, I went to Tatau. I doubt most people will know where it is.
Tatau is about 1/2 hr drive from Bintulu Airport; and Bintulu town will be about 1/2 hr drive from the latter. To say Tatau is a village, then it's bigger than a village. To be more precise, it is a small town.
I met a 77 yrs old lady at the entrance to the domestic departure hall. Earlier on I met her at the checking counter where her daughter in law asked me if I was flying to Bintulu. This old lady travelled alone. So, i offered to bring her along since she didn't know anything.
In my mind, I was thinking, how could the family let her travelled alone when she didn't know anything, and not familiar with the airport AND she had a heavy bag to carry! Ok, at first I dun expect her bag was heavy. Since she was old, i just helped her to carry. It's heavy for me at least, so I dun expect her afford carrying it especially u know, u have to walk down flight of stairs and a distance to the red red red plane which Anyone Can Fly.
There was communication barrier between both of us. It's like talk between chicken and duck. She talked hakka, and I don't know hakka. I could listen a bit, then mostly I guess. I felt like going back to the time when I was a baby or toddler who started to learn talking.
Then, making use of my hands to show her anything I wanted to say. She asked what's my job? I 'ahh'ed and 'erm'ed, until she made a writing gesture, then I showed her a typing gesture. I only manage to ask how old she is. The most phrase that came out from my mouth is "mo xiong kong" ~ nevermind. Is that correct? I don't know. Please correct me.
Then, on the phone, I asked App3l for some translations. I told the old lady, "wo mei hiu hakka". App3l laughed at me immediately saying "why are you saying foochew to her?". Ops, "mei hiu" means "don't know" in foochew.
So, I got a privilege to enter the flight first with the old lady. But before that, I asked the staff on ground that is it okay for me to bring her in since she is not my grandma and she had a heavy bag to carry.
Then, while queueing, there was this cute little boy who pat lightly on my butt. He is really cute and adorable, so forgive him for the small act. He was so shy and almost cried when the dad "scolded" him.
Ok, that's all for this post. The rest of the trip is to be continued in other posts. I hope I can do it.

4 Comments:
WAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAAH
oops sorry 'x'
my hakka was put to the test when i visit cheshire home few years ago too..LOL...
chin chai shoot oso can understand..not bad liao :)
oho!the kid eat ur tau hu!?!
my nephew like to do taht too!..but he usually get a big big scolding from me..MUAHAHAHAA
'x'
that was really an awful experience!~ :-p
hehe if the kid is cute, then nvm lar, if not cute, i will @@ like that..lol
tsk tsk tsk...
quick enrol to the hakka class that started next month!
Quick!
enrol from who? who is teaching? u kar? urs really pass one kar?
Post a Comment
<< Home